• to achieve individual and collective spiritual development.
• to promote the teachings of the Catholic Church.
• to exemplify the Christian ideal in home and family life.
• to protect the sanctity of human life.
• to enhance the role of women in church and society.
• to recognize the human dignity of all people everywhere.
• to uphold and defend Christian education and values in the modern world.
• to contribute to the understanding and growth of religious freedom, social justice, peace and harmony.
The Church of the Ascension CWL received its Charter in April 1959 but, as the archives show, our roots go further back. As early as 1938, a CWL Council was established at the Church of the Little Flower in Qualicum Beach. Annie Tennant had the honour of being the first President of our Council. The Church of St. John Vianney in Parksville was established in December 1948. The ladies of that Church formed an altar society in 1950. In 1967 the ladies from the Parksville Church requested to join the CWL established in Qualicum's Church of the Little Flower. The Church of the Ascension at French Creek replaced these two earlier churches when it was completed in July 1969.
Over the past 70 years the CWL has continued to support our Parish in ways too numerous to mention ~ from fund-raising to actually building and furnishing the Church to the more recent contribution of "the Risen Christ" above our altar and the renovations of the Parish Hall Kitchen. The CWL Council continues to work at the Parish, Diocesan, Provincial and National levels.
Since we have moved into the 21st century, it would sometimes appear that "the more things change, the more they remain the same". The success of our Council is due to our dedicated members over the years and support from our Pastors and the community at large. We ask Our Lady of Good Counsel to guide our Council to flourish and grow to the glory of God and the well-being of our Parish, our community and our country.